15 November 2007

Thousands of animals brutally killed in Puerto Rico

I've seen almost every PETA video, I've watched videos of vivisection in action, and I'm almost to the point where I'm desensitized to it. That doesn't mean I don't care, it's just that cruelty to animals doesn't surprise me anymore. But this is terrible:

Puerto Rico's animal control workers have been slaughtering the animals they were supposed to be helping.
"Possibly thousands of unwanted animals have been tossed off bridges, buried alive, and otherwise inhumanely disposed of by taxpayer-financed animal control programs."
And that's not all that's being done to Puerto Rico's animals:
"Cockfighting is legal, with matches shown on television. One of the island's beaches is known as Dead Dog Beach - a place where teenagers drive over live puppies sealed in bags or cruelly kill them with machetes and arrows, according to animal welfare groups that photographed the atrocities."
This really puts in perspective the state of animals in this world. Although many animal rights activists (myself included) put most of their effort into American cruelty-prevention, places outside of America are usually much worse. However, I do think there is a plus side to focusing on America. Good or bad, when America puts something into place (aside from an unjustified war for oil), other nations want to get in on it too.

I tried to find contact information, and, since I don't know Spanish, I haven't been too successful. So here's the information for Luis Fortuno, who represents Puerto Rico in Congress:
Washington D.C. Office
126 Cannon House
Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: 202-225-2615
Fax: 202-225-2154

District Office
250 Calle Fortaleza
Old San Juan, PR 00901
Phone: 787-723-6333
Fax: 787-729-7738

If anyone has any better contact information, please let me know in the comments.

And here's the link to the original National Geographic article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Just wanted to emphasize what some other bloggers seem to have gotten confused about.


Puerto Rico is a part of the U.S. These were/are American pets, and American tax dollars have been paying for this cruelty.

Tax dollars that could instead be spent on spay neuter programs.

Unknown said...

Hi Lily,
I was reading about this story on MySpace news and you have asked if there was a better contact information.I dont no if this is what you want but i do no of a site that i am a member of, that you can join for free where you can sign petitions and make comments directly to whom it concerns.There is a lot of many different things you can do on this site.I am just letting you no about this as they have this story about pet massacre in Puerto Rico on there where you can sign and put in your own comments to The Honorable Aníbal Acevedo-Vilá, Governor of Puerto Rico.
I hope this is of interest to you,im not sure if you are allowed to put web addressess or email addressess in with messages.The site i am talking about can send you their link via myself by introducing you but i would need your email address.If you are interested please feel free to contact me.If this is not what you want then i do apologise.
Thank you.
Sharon.